Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Solstice stockings

Elinor from Exercise Before Knitting is hosting a sock-knitting contest, which I couldn't resist. My contribution is this:

Solstice stockings

I made these out of Socks That Rock Mediumweight in "Winter Solstice", which was a lovely experience. Sportweight socks go shockingly fast! I made an entire sock in an evening of watching Alias.

I am especially pleased with the cuff, which is sort of chunky and tightly-knit lace edging:

Cuff!

It fans out into pretty scallops when you put on the sock, and it is stretchy like you wouldn't believe. My anguish about knitting socks is that the cuff edge always feels too tight, no matter how I cast on, and I end up adding calf shaping that sometimes interrupts or destroys the pattern.... but a sideways garter stitch edging is automatic calf shaping, and makes a very comfortable cuff. I would be wearing these socks now if it weren't 29C outside.

If you want to knit them too, the pattern is available on ravelry for four of your finest Canadian dollars.

1 comment:

Alwen said...

Ohhh, those are pretty!